12.29.2004

Firm Organics

I've nearly completed the test samples for this creation. The concept is simple, 16"x16" x 1" square of concrete with inlayed cross-section of Maple. Beautiful and very contemporary.
For the test castings I played around with several wood sealants (Spray Lacquer, 100% Silicon), all of which failed due to how the sealant was applied.

The failure resulted in rapid expansion of the wood which caused the concrete to split laterally and horizontally based on the 3x3 configuration of the cross-sections.

Another attempt will be made with a product called Jasco Wet Look Cure Seal. I plan on using a a dip and cure process on the cross-sections before they are inserted into the mold. I feel if I can get the cross-sections water tight prior to insertion, they should not absorb any of the water from the 'crete will its curing.

No comments: